Thursday, December 09, 2004

The story behind Karuppan..

"Happy familes are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way"

I guess that explains it all. "Karuppan" is just another story of such a family. No, Its not a true story and is not mine either.
But loosely based on my friend and some similar incidents. The story itself was written a year ago . Those from Sulekha would have read it in Sulekha coffeehouse's creative section.

This friend comes from a similar broken home. She is well educated, has a good career and a very very interesting person.But she is an emotional wreck.Highly insecure when it comes to relations. I have seen her get into one affair after another, in search for that one guy who would love her immensely.She would easily fall for any guy,who is slightly affectionate.Ofcourse, the realisation comes later. Its not that all the guys were bad.There have been good guys.The relationship starts smoothly. Soon she becomes obsessive, jealous , demanding, paranoid and INSECURE. All affairs are doomed from the start.

And she knows what she is like. But she just cannot help herself.

Its been more than two years, since I last her. But I keep hearing about her from friends. And no news is good news.

Whenever I think about her two incidents comes to my mind.

One is where we are discussing "Gone with the wind". And I was comparing Darcy n Rhett Butler. 'Who was the better lover?'
I was all for Darcy.But she liked Rhett Butler. She spoke for close to 20 mins about him. I dont recall what she said either. But I remember the tone,intonation, her excited demeanor , her involvement when she talked about him. Never seen anybody speak that way.

Another incident is , again i do not recollect the topic, but think it was something to do with whom ones' sympathies should lie in case of a broken relation or some such complicated thing. I was stating that the person who hurts is the one to be blamed, even if he/she is also getting hurt in that process.
For which she said "When someone(even a stranger) accidentaly bangs their head against the ceiling bar, dont u also feel the pain when they wince ? Its almost visceral. I feel the urge to immediately go and rub their head for them. I just react to their pain. I cannot distinguish whether the reason behind the pain is righteous or not and I do not care also.."

I think the above clealry describes Anu's character. She is the only person who can relate to her father's suffering. Others are more concerned about the results of his suffering and react only to it , including her mother. Anu knows her mother can take care of herself, but the same is not true with her father. And she resents that her mother does not do anything to reach out to her father. Even though her mother is also suffering,she does not show it and hence she is not able to relate to it.For her, her mother is just strong.

Anu's sympathies always lie with the more vulnerable of the two and so she reacts to her father more.

Once upon a time, I used to have some kind of twisted notion that people who suffer n have some bad experiences are more mature and can handle things with equanimity.And that those from a happy background cannot relate to other's pain. But I have been so wrong. I know a couple of friends , who are from a typical happy family - mature parents ,good economic background and everything else that keeps a bad childhood at bay. These kids are wonderful persons today, balanced and matured with great insight into people and relations.

Ok..Enuff written. This topic is making me depressed.A fine life wasted..


Thank u all for the compliments.


Nithya,
Getting publisehd in Ananda Vikatan,Kalki used to be a benchmark for the writer's ability. But thats old story. But I can perfectly relate to the joy of readding stories in AV..thanks :-))


Asuph,

Now, now modesty is another virtue of the ghati's?
What do we do without our dose of Mrs.Nene?

Cheti,

Ur comment about reasons behind the dead marraige was too apt.

CEC,
Agree with u when u say the age of Anu is kind of vague at various points of the story. When I was writing the story, I tried to point out her age.But I was unable to fit it and it was getting in the way of narration. So I just mentioned towards the end that she was in college first year and that Karuppan's been with them for more than 10 years.
So the narrative is from when she is around 8 years old to around 18. As for her thoughts being quite mature, I might have put my observations as hers. But guess the person involved always has a skewed understanding of his/her position, but refuses to acknowledge it.
As for the comparison with Harper Lee., "You are too kind " :-))


SSM,

Thank u for the detailed comment. I confess i am a poor at commenting myself. Esp, if its a long winded one, feel lazy to type!!!!!!
But I know comments are invaluable to the writer.
I have never had a pet dog or any kind of pet for that matter. And I am a vegetarian.Talked to a couple of non-veggies about mutton n stuff. So, I a happy to see the flavor conveyed.

Guess after I got engaged, i been having writer's block :-) So have not written anything (Or maybe I am run out of things to write about).
U liked the template..**grin**..spent a good half an hour , trying out things. I wanted somethin with a light , non-intrusive background. LIked one, but DSS alreday had it. So went for this..nothing to do with waterbody though.. stay near beach..have gone once in the past 5 months..:((

Ardra ,buck, silk, sapna,anon,imp, Fizo (can i even hope to write a series like 'what lies beneath'!!!!!), funny cide, Saloni..thank u alll
And ofcourse Ananth :-)


Also, I am sorry for such a late reponse. Had a trianing programme at another location for the past couple of days. So couldnt check the comments. Maan! I am overwhelmes..looks like I have to think twice before I produce another piece..:-)

2 comments:

thoughtraker said...

no thinking twice - just do it scout :))
interesting thoughts and analysis there - we can only imagine how others might feel/think - only the wearer knows where the shoe pinches and all that...
btw, interesting observation there that after engagement, u are facing writer's block - i had a similar experience after getting married, and put it down to contentment! :)))

NS said...

Scout,
Hope u r out of all the writer's block... Expecting more stories from u...:)

nithya